16 Lon Chaney Movies on TCM
Thanks to TCM’s August series “Summer Under the Stars” we’re being treated to 16 Lon Chaney movies today. Sixteen! If you’re not familiar with Lon Chaney, “The Man of a Thousand Faces,” this schedule is beyond an excellent primer. If you are familiar, then kick back and enjoy not only Chaney’s amazing performances, but some of the best moves the silent era has to offer.
Much is made of the Chaney’s skill with costume and makeup and no one denies the transformative power of these tools. Personally, I think Chaney’s transformations are complete, reaching far beyond the physical superficialities of makeup. Whoever Lon Chaney the man was is completely absorbed into the roles he plays. That’s more than putty, it’s talent and skill. Be sure to catch a least a few of these silent (mostly) silent gems.
Read more about Lon Chaney and happy watching!
TCM Schedule of Lon Chaney Movies (starting at 6:00 am EST August 15):
- 6:00 am The Ace of Hearts (1921)
- 7:30 am The Unholy Three (1930)
- 9:00 am Oliver Twist (1922)
- 11:00 am He Who Gets Slapped (1924)
- 12:15 pm The Monster (1925)
- 1:45 pm Tell It To The Marines (1926)
- 3:30 pm Mockery (1927)
- 4:45 pm Mr. Wu (1927)
- 6:30 pm Laugh, Clown, Laugh
- 8:00 pm The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)
- 10:00 pm The Phantom of the Opera (1923)
- 12:00 am Unholy Three (1925)
- 1:30 am The Unknown (1927)
- 2:30 am West of Zanzibar (1928)
- 3:45 am Where East is East (1929)
- 5:00 am London After Midnight (1927)