Film Friday | Weekly Roundup
People, it is hot! When it’s too hot to even go to the pool, you know it’s hot. There’s not room left in the condo building pool anyway… they’re crammed shoulder to shoulder in there, hovering with the water up to their necks like crocodiles. But a sizzling summer heat wave is perfect movie watching time. Limp out to the cineplex for some super ac and frothy summer fun or stay on the couch with a classic, either way it’s prime movie time. It’s also prime web surfing time. Check out these links, crank up the ac, and get to watching!
- Hollywood Dreamland examines the liberally applied criticism “over-rated.”
- This week we saw a rebirth of the lost art of pie-throwing when a prankster tried to pie evil media overlord Rupert Murdoch. The Washington Post recaps the rich history of pie-flinging.
- Check out Stone Age Cinema’s review of The Lost World. He did a much, much more thorough job than I did.
- The Killers is such an awesome film noir, and Faded Video Labels reminded me that I should watch it again. (Check out all of the other reviews when you’re done… this site if full of gems.)
- A few weeks ago, I procured my very own copy of American Movie Critics: An Anthology From the Silents Until Now edited by Phillip Lopate. Readers, I can’t recommend this compendium of film writing enough. It’s a pure delight to read this collection.
- Witness Alfred J. Hitchcock make what might possibly be the first “That’s what she said” joke in human history:
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 15, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 8, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – July 1, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 24, 2011
- Pretty Clever Films- Film Friday | Weekly Round Up – June 17, 2011